Maintenance interns at Summit are given the opportunity to develop basic maintenance and construction skills while facing the challenges of working on historical buildings in Manitou Springs. Striving to steward the buildings and grounds of Summit well is a necessary part of supporting the ministry and is a means towards cultivating and redeeming the physical world. Through this program, the Maintenance intern will gain a better understanding of work through a Biblical Worldview through study and practical application.
Daily education, spiritual development, lots of hands-on practice, and regular feedback are major parts of the program. During the internship, each intern will be a part of a variety of different skilled trades including plumbing, carpentry, electrical, mechanical, and landscaping. The work can be physically challenging, but it is often rewarding through being a participant in the noticeable improvements of the Summit property.
Reports to: Nathan Reitz, Director of Properties
Location: Summit Headquarters, Manitou Springs, CO
Department: Ministry Services
Hours: 40 hours per week, overtime as needed
Compensation: $13.75-$15.50 per hour, DOE.
Please note: $275 per month for meals and $150 per month in rent will be deducted from pay to help cover these additional expenses.
The internship is designed for an ideal length of 12-14 weeks. However, start and end dates are negotiable from May 8th to September 1st. The intern must commit to a minimum of 10 consecutive weeks in order to be considered for this position.
Key Job Tasks
- Perform a wide variety of general building maintenance repairs and services as directed by the Director of Properties and Maintenance Supervisor. The following are examples:
- Daily building inspections.
- Install lightbulbs, replace outlets, switch and plate covers, complete other minor electrical repairs.
- Complete basic plumbing repairs.
- Painting and staining interior and exterior walls, along with minor remodeling.
- Complete general grounds maintenance such as trash removal, mowing, weed eating, etc.
- Basic rough and finish carpentry through remodeling projects and structural repairs.
- Weekly mentoring with the Director of Properties.
- Regular reading assignments given for a weekly book study including two books: “Every Good Endeavor,” by Timothy Keller and “How Then Should We Work? Rediscovering the Biblical Doctrine of Work,” by Hugh Whelchel
- Daily to weekly meetings with the Properties Team.
- Responsible for notifying Properties leadership of any unusual occurrence and/or damage that has taken place on the property.
- Responsible for notifying Properties leadership immediately if there is a maintenance emergency of any kind.
- Maintain a professional, courteous manner with all guests, vendors, contractors and fellow employees.
- Special projects and other responsibilities as may be determined.
- This job requires exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly.
- Most projects require working outdoors. The temperatures during the summer months range from 30 degrees to 95 degrees. Work occasionally must be completed outside during storms, which could include lightning, rain, hail, and strong winds.
- This job involves almost daily use of dangerous machinery, equipment, tools, and toxic chemicals. Proper use of these is a must, with continual use of proper safety equipment.
- Because of busier seasons and limited staffing, work days can range from 2 to 12 hours. Flexibility and patience are necessary for this position.
- This job requires working on most weekends, and potentially some holidays of the year.
- Additional mentoring or training will be offered to the Maintenance Intern from the properties staff, as requested.
- Tools and equipment will be available for use on personal projects completed in the shop, as approved by the Director of Properties. Such projects will require proficiency with the tools and equipment before they are implemented for personal use.
Please send any questions regarding this internship to Nathan Reitz: email@example.com