FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
POLL: Voters Fear Discrimination, Oppose Cancel Culture, Support Religious Freedom
- 42% of Voters Hesitant to Share Their Beliefs Publicly, and Fully One-Third Fear Losing Their Jobs Due to Beliefs
- 80% of Voters Support Right to Express Public Religious Views, 77% Oppose Cancel Culture
(Manitou Springs, CO—March 15, 2022) Summit.org, in partnership with McLaughlin and Associates—one of America’s most respected polling survey firms—is releasing the results of a recent national survey. Results were from a survey of 1,000 likely general election voters nationwide and was conducted February 16th through February 22nd.
“There are many things that divide Americans, but this poll shows that Republican, Independent, and Democrat voters are united about one thing: they strongly oppose the current trend of canceling and blacklisting people for their beliefs,” said Dr. Jeff Myers of Summit.org. “Americans overwhelmingly support the right of people to express their religious convictions. Yet a stunning one-third of voters fear losing their jobs for expressing their beliefs. This is a dramatic revelation. Freedom cannot thrive if a large number of people live in fear of losing their livelihoods for having a viewpoint. Corporate and political leaders must take these concerns seriously.”
All interviews were conducted online; survey invitations were distributed randomly within predetermined geographic units. These units were structured to correlate with actual voter turnout in the general election. This poll of 1,000 general election voters has an accuracy of +/- 3.1% at a 95% confidence interval.
KEY INSIGHT: Nearly 80 Percent of American Voters Believe in Right to Express Religious Beliefs Publicly:
- 79 percent of American voters believe people who adhere to values found in the Bible have the right to express their religious beliefs publicly.
- 12 percent of American voters do not believe people who adhere to values found in the Bible have the right to express their religious beliefs publicly.
- 9 percent are unsure.
KEY INSIGHT: Majority, Bipartisan Opposition to Cancel Culture:
- 77 percent of American voters believe “canceling” or blacklisting someone for their opinions or beliefs, whether offensive or not, is harmful to American society:
- 90 percent of Republicans say harmful
- 77 percent of Independents say harmful
- 65 percent of Democrats say harmful
- 13 percent of American voters believe “canceling” or blacklisting someone for their opinions or beliefs, whether offensive or not, is helpful to American society:
- 6 percent of Republicans say helpful
- 10 percent of Independents say helpful
- 21 percent of Democrats say helpful
KEY INSIGHT: Republicans and Independents More Likely to Self-Censor Than Democrats:
- 42 percent of American voters say they are hesitant to share their opinions on important cultural or political issues for fear of backlash from family, friends, or coworkers:
- 45 percent of Republicans say hesitantly
- 44 percent of Independents say hesitantly
- 38 percent of Democrats say hesitantly
- 53 percent of American voters say they are not hesitant to share their opinions on important cultural or political issues for fear of backlash from family, friends, or coworkers:
- 51 percent of Republicans say not hesitant
- 50 percent of Independents say not hesitant
- 58 percent of Democrats say not hesitant
KEY INSIGHT: Nearly One-Third of American Voters are Concerned Their Beliefs and Opinions Could Cost Them Their Job:
- 31 percent of American voters are concerned that their personal opinions and beliefs could cost them their job:
- 14 percent say very concerned
- 17 percent say somewhat concerned
- 63 percent of American voters are not concerned that their personal opinions and beliefs could cost them their job:
- 18 percent say not very concerned
- 45 percent say not concerned at all
- 6 percent are unsure
About Summit Ministries — Founded in 1962 Summit Ministries’ mission is to equip and support rising generations to embrace God’s truth and champion a biblical worldview. Summit’s iconic two-week conferences for young adults have trained tens of thousands of today’s business innovators, cultural influencers, government officials, and church leaders. Its books and training courses equip hundreds of thousands of people a year to be confident in biblical truth.
About McLaughlin & Associates — McLaughlin & Associates is a full-service, nationally recognized market research and strategic services firm that specializes in public opinion research, media planning and buying services, and strategic consulting services. McLaughlin has analyzed and interpreted thousands of public opinion and market research studies and used this information to create successful outcomes for clients. The principles of McLaughlin and Associates have 40-years of successful political and corporate experience. John McLaughlin is the CEO/Partner and Jim McLaughlin is the COO/Partner.