Section Banner Next entry » « Previous entry
November 11, 2012

Farvest Hall

Farvest Hall

To my dismay, I woke up at 6:20 Sunday morning. I was dismayed at the ungodly hour yet relieved at the same time to not be late for the exodus of students heading to the vans. After arriving at church, we snacked and socialized for a few minutes before worship commenced. This was led by some of my friends here at Semester. The church members here have done a wonderful job of welcoming and hosting us in their homes on occasion. This particular Sunday was a "Host Home Sunday" meaning that students, usually in groups of twos, were going to a church member's house for lunch and an afternoon of relaxation. Although Snow Wolf Lodge is beautiful and is abundant in Christian community, it can't always sustain a homey environment due to its large size. Host homes also give us an opportunity for us and the church members to get to know each other better. Natalie and I were blessed to find ourselves going to the Yerton's lovely home. We soon learned that two of the guys would also be joining us. All six of us sat around their dining room table eating our take-out Chinese food and discussing politics, their home, the service, prayer, and proper dining etiquette. Afterward we sat down at our computers and made phone calls. I couldn't imagine any better way to spend the afternoon. Sadly almost all good things must come to an end and we were driven back to the church around 4:20. The entire lot of us was well on our way back to Snow Wolf Lodge by 5:00.  We ate a dinner of leftovers together, swapping stories of our time at host homes. Right after dinner we had a short class on gun safety in preparation of the skeet shooting we would be doing the next day. I spent the rest of the night socializing with my fellow students. No really, I spent the entire night talking to my friends, something I'm prone to do almost every night. When I finally headed to bed around 2:50 am, I noticed to my delight that our hard working staff and a few sweet students were hanging lights for Farvest Hall (<no, this is not a typo).

Farvest Hall is a tradition started in 2006 during the first year of Summit Semester. Originally it was titled Fall Harvest but in one of the previous years, one student couldn't say it. The closest thing they could come up with was Farvest Hall, a title which apparently stuck better than the first. I know it takes some time to get used to, but hopefully you'll catch on to it by the end of this blog post. Farvest Hall had been planned well in advance by our wonderful staffers Carrie and Elizabeth but something as big as Farvest Hall couldn't be managed solely by the two. I, along with a few other students, volunteered to help with the color run in the morning. I was awakened by a fellow student fifteen minutes before I had to be ready. We met up and learned that the dye that we were supposed to use had not arrived in the mail, and that instead we would be using a Kool-Aid mix. I still got to spray stuff on the runners which may or may not have been one of the main factors of me volunteering. I'll never tell! It was fairly cold that morning so I'm pretty sure that most of us were relieved to find breakfast waiting for us after the run. We gathered around the bonfire and food table chatting, eating, and taking photos. There was an aura of excitement and anticipation in the air as we looked forward to the rest of the fun-filled day. We were given a bit of time to clean up before the pumpkin carving contest at 11:00. My pal Daniel and I teamed up to render Darth Maul as best we could. I think that I can say for the both us that we had a great time even though we didn't get it entirely finished. Afterward, we had lunch and then we headed back to the field to play games. There was a three-legged race, a wheelbarrow race, a potato sack race (or rather, a pillowcase race), a crab race, skeet shooting, and a modified version of bobbing for apples. For the Jizmejian children and the Beisner's son, there was a game of pin the tail on the donkey. Right before dinner we had time to change into our costumes. Mine was Esmerelda from the Disney version of Hunchback of Notre Dame. The rest of the evening was spent dancing under the string of lights in Echo Canyon Lodge. As busy as our day sounds, it was fairly relaxing with several times where we could rest.

Tuesday, the water went out; something that will certainly be fixed. We had plenty of drinking water thanks to our wonderful staff that takes care of us so well, both emotionally and physically. Several plans were hatched for procuring showers lest we not have such a commodity for a few days. For me personally it is not such a terrible inconvenience. I simply have to remind myself what I can and can't do concerning water usage. For instance, I decided that since I couldn't take a shower I would instead wash my clothes. Fortunately, a fellow student peered into the laundry room and noticed that I had just started the washer. She graciously reminded me that we were out of well water.  Nevertheless life goes on at Snow Wolf Lodge and my clothes are still in the washer waiting for water to resume its cycle.

Tia Slusher, 17

Lincoln, AL

Tia came to faith at the age of five, and at age twelve began comparing Christianity against other religions. She was satisfied at that time that Christianity had better answers and allowed her to remain herself as she lived a life of faith. Tia plans to attend Heritage College in Canada to receive a certificate in sound technology and recording arts. After completing the certificate, she wants to enroll at the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Science located in Arizona. Tia wants to interact with artists and help challenge the worldview they are presenting through their lyrics.

Start a discussion