Student Conferences: Colorado
Don’t worry, Summit is not all work! There will also be a wide range of fun activities for you to choose from. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons we’ll have an organized “Sports Time,” when we’ll go to a huge grassy park nearby and have all sorts of outdoor recreation for you to join in on including soccer, volleyball, flag football, basketball, tennis and ultimate Frisbee along with 200 other students and staff! There are also nice hiking or running trails there and great shade trees if you’d just like to relax and read a book, take a nap, spend time talking with friends, etc. We will also have 2 cookouts at this same park.
Optional afternoon activities/excursions as an alternative to free time include:
First Friday, 2:30-5:00pm:
- Outdoor Rock Climbing in Garden of the Gods. Cost: $30, shoes and harness included. 2 hours. Limit of 25 students. http://www.frontrangeclimbing.com
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Self-guided tour of the only mountainside zoo in America, with the opportunity to kiss a giraffe. Cost: $20. (Limit of 45 students.) http://www.cmzoo.org/
- Pikes Peak Hike. Cost: $10. We will leave the Summit hotel at 6am and drive about 45 minutes to the trailhead at The Crags, where we ascend and conquer an area appropriately referred to as Devil’s Playground! The trail climbs 6.3 miles on the “backside” of Pikes Peak, ascending 4,200 vertical feet to an altitude of 14,110 feet at the summit! It takes 3-4 hours to hike, and Summit vans will wait at the top to shuttle hikers back down. (Limit of 32 students.)
- Whitewater Rafting with Noah’s Ark Rafting Co. Cost: $80. We will depart from Summit at 6AM for a 2-hour excursion into the Rocky Mountains for a 10-mile trip down the Arkansas River. If you really want to see and enjoy the beauty of Colorado, this is for you! (Limit of 80 students.) http://www.noahsark.com
- Rock Climbing in Red Rock Canyon. Cost: $50, shoes and harness included. Not feeling up to hiking uphill for hours? Maybe you should consider climbing big rocks with your friends instead. 4-5 hours. http://www.frontrangeclimbing.com
- Zipline across several canyons of Manitou Springs with Adventures Out West! Cost: $50. (Limit of 24 students.) http://www.advoutwest.com/
Second Monday, 2:30-5PM:
- Olympic Training Center Guided one-hour tour of the facility at which many TEAM USA athletes train, plus a gift shop. Cost: $5. (Limit of 40 students.)
Bring these with you! Please do not mail these forms to Summit.