Summit Ministries recently partnered with Barna Group in a study to gauge how ideas from other key worldviews have infected Christians’ beliefs about God and the world around us. For over 30 years, Barna has conducted research showing a gap between the beliefs of practicing Christians and the historical understanding of biblical Christianity. This new research sought to identify the source of many nonbiblical ideas infecting Christianity, and found strong agreement among practicing Christians with… Read More →Research by Barna and Summit: Competing Worldviews Influence Today’s Christians
It is important to clarify something. Science does nothing. It is scientists who create breakthroughs using the disciplines of observing, repeating, and measuring to figure out more about the universe. Sometimes, though, they also use philosophy.
Last night I finished the chapter on the Secularist worldview for the new Understanding the Times course. Unsurprisingly, the research showed Secularism to be quite influential and growing. In fact, 12-18% of the American public now are comfortable thinking of themselves as “secular.”
Today I dig into revising the Secular Humanism section. All of the leading Secular Humanists have died but I have discovered that they reproduced. The new Secular Humanists call themselves Secularists, which is perfect for our purposes in this book. It was unlikely that Summit grads would have run into someone claiming to be a card-carrying Secular Humanist, but they’ll meet Secularists in practically every class they take.
The New York Times was quick to label Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik “a Christian extremist” (July 24, 2011). Other headlines called him “a rightwing fundamentalist Christian,” making it apparent that the leftwing press would use this recent horror to prove that Christians are just another brand of jihadist. Of course, true Christians knew immediately that Breivik could not be a Christian if he senselessly murdered scores of human beings.
“Beware lest any man take you captive through vain and deceitful philosophy, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” — Colossians 2:8
The 20th century is the praxis of this verse. Western Civilization in general and the United States in particular have embarked on a hazardous journey of rejecting and replacing Christ with any number of mortal men and their ideas. Since ideas have consequences the 20th century has witnessed the consequences of these utopian schemes and ideas.
Our 2008 Australian Summit was conducted in Melbourne at the Deakin University campus. The college bookstore was drenched in Richard Dawkins. His picture was everywhere, promoting his book The God Delusion. But nowhere to be found were any works challenging Dawkin’s atheism, evolution, humanism (but I repeat myself).
Even though Charles Darwin did not coin the phrase “survival of the fittest” (that honor goes to Herbert Spencer), he did acknowledge that it was more expressive than his own phrase “natural selection.”
The doctrine of “survival of the fittest” or “natural selection” has become a telling weapon in the hands of the militant atheists in their quest to subvert and ultimately destroy Christianity.
According to their own pronouncements, Secular Humanists are atheists who believe that the scientific method is the primary way we can know about life and living, from understanding who we are as humans to questions of ethics, social issues, and politics. However, apart from the specifics of what Secular Humanists believe, the pressing issue is this: is Secular Humanism a religion?
It’s been said that whoever frames the debate wins the argument. It is also true that whoever defines the terms wins the argument. Whoever wins the argument wins the right to be heard. But some arguments are trivial and not worth the trouble to decide, while the outcome of other arguments can end in loosing lives.
The same folks who gave us the Jesus Seminar launched the Jesus Project on January 28, 2007. However, the Jesus Project plans to accomplish what the Jesus Seminar did not accomplish. The Jesus Seminar was able to relegate about 80% of the sayings of Jesus as myth, fable, fiction, legend and hearsay. The Jesus Project plans to banish the other 20% by removing Jesus himself from the equation.
The February/March 2007 issue of Free Inquiry contains an extensive review of Brannon Howse’s book One Nation Under Man: The Worldview War Between Christians and the Secular Left Since the editor of Free Inquiry, Tom Flynn, wrote the review the Secular Humanists have decided the book merits their attention. And Flynn indeed levels his 105 Howitzer right at Howse, Noebel, Tim and Beverly LaHaye, and the Religious Right in general.